Friday, November 27, 2009

It's no wonder they all think we're crazed nut jobs . . .

Earlier, I wrote a short post on the actress, Kristen Chenoweth, who is sometimes presented as Christianity's public face.

Tonight, I caught a few moments of Sean Hannity's recent interview with Carrie PreJean, being rebroadcast tonight. Here is the relevant portion from the Foxnews website:

HANNITY: And one of the things that you do in this book that I like in the book is you really address young girls, and you try to maybe counsel them and advise them. What do you tell young girls that, you know, have these boyfriends, their first loves, like this was, I guess one of your first boyfriends?

PREJEAN: Yes. Yes.

HANNITY: You really were close to him. Now it's been a big betrayal. What do you tell young girls?

PREJEAN: Be careful. Nothing is private any more. Nothing is private. With Facebook, with MySpace, with all that going on, I mean, you have to be so careful. In my last chapter of my book I give, you know, advice to young women and just to people in general, that you know, I'm not perfect. I make mistakes, just like all of us make mistakes. And you know, this book has been so great for me to share with other people what happened, because I do share. I do share what really happened. And people have heard bits and pieces of, you know, the liberal media's version of it. But basically, it's for Americans who believe their beliefs are under attack.

That's it -- be careful? No -- it's sinful and I'm a Christian, I shouldn't have done it at all? No -- it was sinful, I have asked God for forgiveness and I repent?

This is what the media, even big names like the Roman Catholic Sean Hannity, present us with as the public face of Christianity. This is the sort of Christian we are told is normal and good and right and acceptable.

And we don't, at least most of us, don't bat an eyelid. Ho Humm. "Well, she's a bit more liberal than I am, but she seems to be a nice girl. She's awfully pretty and she did say right things about marriage at the contest." That's largely been our response.

And then we wonder why we get marginalized as nut-jobs when we dare squeak out a defense of genuine, orthodox Christianity?

2 comments:

Diogenes said...

I agree, Kamilla. I "made mistakes" when I was young as well . . . and I came to feel deep guilt for them, confessed them and repented of them, calling them what they were, sins. I still "make mistakes" and still confess and repent when they are sins. One of the biggest problems with many Christians who become public figures is their refusal to call their past "mistakes" what they are, sins, and to repent of them.

Stacy McDonald said...

So she should have been "more careful" because "nothing is private?" So the only reason she shouldn't have done it is because she should have known someone might eventually find out?

My mama used to call that being sorry for the consequence, not the offense.