Sunday, July 18, 2010

Someone should have told me this stuff stains!

Genius at work in the kitchen again.

It started out as a simple head of cabbage, which I wanted to saute. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw that bag of onions I bought last week. And the garlic I needed to use. And I am sure you can guess the rest of the story.

Curried Cabbage, Tomatoes and Chickpeas.

It's brilliant. Served with a dollop of Greek Yogurt because I used the Vindaloo curry powder, and it's one of the best things I've made in ages.

Saute two onions and several cloves of garlic until the onions begin to clear. Then add in the Curry powder of your choice (I added some powdered Ginger and Turmeric to the Vindaloo powder). Stir that thoroughly in to the onions and garlic. Then add a roughly chopped head of cabbage and about 8 roughly chopped Roma tomatoes. Simmer covered until the Tomatoes begin to breakdown. Then add 1 box Pomi strained tomatoes and one can of Chickpeas (rinsed) and heat through. Add more curry if needed. Serve with a garnish of Greek Yogurt.

A couple of notes: I use only fresh or boxed tomatoes because of the BPA problem with the lining of canned vege. The cabbage should be still a bit crunchy for best flavor, I think. And, if the cabbage is large, you may want to use two cans of Chickpeas.

And the staining? The Turmeric, of course!

No comments: