Saturday, May 1, 2010

Experimenting in the Kitchen

I've already mentioned my new favorite cookbook, The Flavor Bible. Two weekends ago, at a shower, our hostess's son was doing some last minute prep (he's a chef, I think) and we got to talking about what an indispensable tool it is for those willing to experiment.

And today, I got it out of the cupboard and did some experimenting again. I didn't take any great chances today - but it is fun when you just grab something because you've never cooked it before and it happens to go with something else you were buying, and . . .

Tonight it was Tofu and Baby Bok Choy stir fry with a light sauce of Rice Vinegar, Toasted Sesame oil and Garlic. It turned out rather nicely, though next time I think I would marinate the Tofu.

Also tonight, the first part of homemade pita bread from The Bread Bible . The recipe says it is best if you let it rise overnight, so I am developing some patience and will wait until tomorrow to bake the pitas.

Some Basmati rice is cooking in the steamer and later on, I am going to bake some Almond Polenta Pound Cake in the mini-muffin pans, crowning each one with a Blackberry (no, the edible kind). Another one of those serendipitous things -- I bought the blackberries because they were on sale and come to find out, they go with . . .

Right now, however, I am enjoying the last sips from a glass of wine - the bottle tells me it goes well with (among other things), Asian dishes.

And that it does.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Sounds like you had fun with this! I like experimenting in the kitchen when I have the leisure to do so -- without the pressure of getting something on the table quickly. I just put The Flavor Bible on hold at the library...you've inspired me!