Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How low will they go?

In their quest to reconstruct Evangelical Christianity, the religious feminists are discussing the "Church of Gender Division" and the real need to minimize gender-specific ministries. Now I will readily agree with them, if they want to argue some churches go too far and make stereotypes out of their men's and women's ministries. However, I will not travel to the following place with them. The following comment was left as a discussion reply and it has me wondering, "Do they believe EVERYTHING needs to be deconstructed?"

I agree that we need to minimize gender-divided meetings. One exception to this, though, may come up in accountability-type groups. I can’t see guys spilling their sexual mess in front of women… and suspect that might not even be a good idea (though would be interested in others’ thoughts — maybe I’m just accepting as conventional wisdom something which needs to be challenged?). Women, too, might find it harder to talk about sexual issues, or (just to make one up) issues regarding insecurity over weight and so forth, in front of their male “judges.” All sorts of unexamined assumptions may underlie what I’ve said here. I’d love to get feedback."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

> ...maybe I’m just accepting as conventional wisdom something which needs to be challenged?).

She appears to be adversely influenced by intrenched, old-fashioned notions of gender boundaries.

> Women, too, might find it harder to talk about sexual issues, or (just to make one up) issues regarding insecurity over weight and so forth, in front of their male “judges.”

I'll skip the weight group. Might be interested in participation in the fashion group, though...!

> All sorts of unexamined assumptions may underlie what I’ve said here.

Yes, shake off that stuffy, backward thinking from the repressive, stereotypical past. How can there ever be real equality and understanding with artificial segregation like this?

Kamilla said...

Michael,

The comment came from a man, which makes it even worse.

Kamilla

Anonymous said...

He needs to have his head examined.