Monday, January 17, 2011

Barbara Feldman understands, but does Carolyn Custis James?

Tonight, whiledoing some searching for information in connection with the book review I am preparing, I ran across this on blogging maven Barbara Feldman's website:

"Okay, I got the message. Thanks for letting me know I stepped out of line when I quoted Mao Tse Tung in a recent Surfnetkids newsletter. He was a mass murderer, and therefore doesn't deserve the privilege of being quoted."

And yet, Zondervan is publishing a book evoking the Maoism while their author, Carolyn Custis James, consistently labels it, "A Chinese Proverb". It's not a Chinese proverb anymore than, "A man is a problem? No man, no problem." is a Russian proverb (it's not, it's a Stalinism).

But no, the religious feminist James evidently thinks it sounds good so she has taken it and run with it.

Half the sky? According to Mao, women only held up their half of the sky when they were economic producers, not when they are holding up the entire sky for their own children.

2 comments:

Stuart Koehl said...

The Stalin quote is, "A man is a problem? No man, no problem". But more apt is, "One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic".

Kamilla said...

Thanks, Stuart. I may change the quote in the post -- I looked it up and found at least four versions. I think I like yours better.