Sunday, August 29, 2010

Don't set foot on the plank

If I am made to walk the plank by a pirate, it is vain for me to offer, as a common-sense compromise, to walk along the plank for a reasonable distance. It is exactly about the reasonable distance that the pirate and I differ. There is an exquisite mathematical split second at which the plank tips up. My common-sense ends just before that instant; the pirate's common-sense begins just beyond it. But the point itself is as hard as any geometrical diagram; as abstract as any theological dogma.


- What's Wrong With the World, G.K. Chesterton

If the pirate is of a liberal/progressive type, such as the religious feminists, they key thing is to never set foot on the plank.

2 comments:

Beth Impson said...

Love this quote, and your comment on it! Just want you to know, I check in here fairly often and enjoy your posts, just don't have time to comment often. Keep telling the truth, dear sister!

Stacy McDonald said...

Great quote!!!!